Ideal Location Relative to Nearby Resources and Transportation
The Piedmont Lithium Project area is intersected by state-maintained paved secondary roads. Interstate I-85, a major east coast transportation corridor, lies 13 kilometers to the south and provides access to the city of Charlotte and the Charlotte Douglas International airport via a 30-minute drive. In addition to excellent access, electrical power infrastructure is in place providing power to nearby residents and property owners. A railway is accessible less than 5 kilometers to the north and 13 kilometers to the south of the Project.
Project Location and Regional Infrastructure
Albemarle and FMC continue to operate two of the most important lithium processing facilities, which are situated on these sites as a result of the rich deposits of lithium contained in the TSB. These facilities are now at the forefront of lithium research and development with FMC maintaining the Center for Lithium Energy Advanced Research (“CLEAR”) lab in Bessemer City, proximal to the Project. FMC’s Bessemer City lithium processing facility is approximately 14 kilometers from the Piedmont Lithium Project whilst Albemarle’s Kings Mountain lithium processing facility is approximately 17 kilometers from the Project.
FMC and Albemarle Lithium Processing Facilities
The region is one of the premier localities in the world to be exploring for lithium pegmatites given its favorable geology and ideal location with easy access to infrastructure, power, R&D centers for lithium and battery storage, major high-tech population centers and downstream lithium processing facilities. We are in a unique position to leverage our position as a first mover in restarting exploration in this historic lithium producing region with the aim of developing a strategic, U.S. domestic source of lithium to supply the increasing electric vehicle and battery storage markets.
An Advantaged Location
Power & Gas
McGurie Nuclear Power Station (2.3 GW)
Transcontinental Natural Gas Pipeline
- ~11.5 GW of large-scale, low-cost power, within 50km from the project.
- Major transmission lines run immediately south of the project.
- The Transcontinental Gas Pipeline, one of the largest in the U.S., runs through Bessemer City.
I-85 Interstate Highway
Charlotte/Douglas International Airport
- Interstate 85 (I-85) runs directly south of the project providing a connection to all of the major highways in the U.S.
- CSX and NS Railways are proximal to the project.
- Charlotte/Douglas Airport, one of the largest hubs in the U.S., is ~30km from the Project.
Charlotte and the Region
- 4 million people reside within the Charlotte Metropolitan area.
- The region is home to multiple universities providing for a highly skilled pool of talent.
- Charlotte ranks as a top workplace destination given the cities affordability and location within the U.S.
A region with significant expertise in mining
The region has significant expertise in mining, as there is a very active quarry and industrial mineral mining operations within 50km from the project.
Low cost of labor and location relative to transportation infrastructure
Mining and Processing costs will benefit from the low cost of labor, location relative to transportation infrastructure and access to low-cost power and natural gas.
Significant contractor availability
Due to the demise of the surface mines in the Central Appalachian coal industry, there is significant contractor availability at very low cost, which are skilled at mining typically much thinner coal seams (~1-2 meters).